Dear Parents and Carers,
Did you or someone you know attend Lliswerry High School? We would value your help to inspire current learners to become more confident, motivated, and inspired about their future careers.
There is extensive research highlighting the benefits to learners of employer role model engagement in schools. In their 2019 research, Insights, and Inspiration; Exploring the Impact of Guest Speakers in Schools, the charity Education and Employers reported:
* 91% of learners surveyed reported increased levels of motivation, understanding of careers and self-belief after listening to employer guest speakers.
* 88% of learners said they were helped to understand that everyone needs to overcome setbacks in pursuit of their career goals.
* Learners who could not recall any encounters with employers were 5 times more likely to believe that their background held them back from achieving their ambitions.
* Free school meal (FSM) students typically benefitted more than non-FSM students
Research also shows that engagement with employer role models who attended the same school, and experienced similar barriers to current learners, is even more valuable.
By becoming part of the ‘alumni community’ at Lliswerry High School and depending on the amount of time you would like to commit, you can support the school and its learners in a range of ways:
* Give a talk to a small group of learners about your career or your industry
* Deliver a presentation to a large group of learners or at open days or special events
* Host a visit for a group of learners to your workplace
* Join a lesson in a specific subject to talk about how the subject is relevant to your work
* Host a work experience placement for a learner at your workplace
* Film a vlog about your experiences of school and your career to date
* Attend mock interviews or support a Careers Fayre
Register your interest here – [EN] Community Alumni
If you would like to find out more, please contact Heidi Purnell 07890 274901 – Heidi.Purnell@careerswales.gov.wales
Mrs L Evans
Senior Assistant Headteacher